Better understanding the properties and interactions of biomass-active proteins (e.g. cellulases, hemicellulases, ligninases, and oxygenases) for enhancing the biocatalytic efficiency to generate biomass-derived sugars, and to improve the production and application of high value cellulose products such as dissolving pulp, nanofibrillated cellulose, nanocrystalline cellulose, etc.
Research Themes & Interests
Enzymatic biomass deconstruction, Enzymatic cellulose modification
Selected Publications and Conference Presentations
- Jinguang Hu, Richard Chandra, Valdeir Arantes, Keith Gourlay, J. Susan van Dyk, Jack N. Saddler (2015) The addition of accessory enzymes enhances the hydrolytic performance of cellulase enzymes at high solid loadings. Bioresource Technology 186: 149-153.
- Jinguang Hu, Keith Gourlay, Valdeir Arantes, J. Susan van Dyk, Amadeus Pribowo, Jack N Saddler (2015) The Accessible Cellulose Surface Influences Cellulase Synergism during the Hydrolysis of Lignocellulosic Substrates. ChemSusChem DOI: 10.1002/cssc.201403335.
- Jinguang Hu, Arantes Valdeir, Pribowo Amadeus, Keith Gourlay, Saddler Jack N (2014) Substrate factors that influence the synergistic interaction of AA9 and cellulases during the enzymatic hydrolysis of biomass. Energy & Environmental Science DOI: 10.1039/c4ee00891j.
- Jinguang Hu, Arantes Valdeir, Pribowo Amadeus, Saddler Jack N (2013) The synergistic action of accessory enzymes enhances the hydrolytic potential of a “cellulase mixture” but is highly substrate specific. Biotechnology for Biofuels 6: 112.
- Jinguang Hu, Arantes Valdeir, Saddler Jack N (2011) The enhancement of enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic substrates by the addition of accessory enzymes such as xylanase: is it an additive or synergistic effect? Biotechnology for Biofuels 4.
Presentations at Scientific Meetings
- Jinguang Hu, Valdeir Arantes, Richard Chandra, , Jack Saddler, “The role of accessory enzymes in enhancing the effective hydrolysis of the cellulosic component of pretreated biomas” Oral presentation, International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels (ISAF 2015), 5th International Conference on Biorefinery – towards Bioenergy (ICBB 2015), and Advanced Biofuels Symposium (ABS 2015), respectively.
- Jinguang Hu, Valdeir Arantes, Richard Chandra, Amadeus Pribowo, Keith Gourlay, Rui Zhai, Tony Mok, Jack Saddler, “How a combination of improved pretreatment and enzyme mixtures can help make a forest residue based sugar platform more attractive for biofuel production” Oral presentation, Advanced Biofuels Symposium, 2014
- Jinguang Hu, Valdeir Arantes, Amadeus Pribowo, Keith Groulay, and Jack Saddler, “The role and function of LPMO during lignocellulose deconstruction” Oral presentation, International Conference on Biomass Energy and Chemicals, 2013
- Jinguang Hu, Valdeir Arantes, Amadeus Pribowo, Keith Groulay, and Jack Saddler, “The enhancement of enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic substrates by the addition of accessory enzymes such as xylanase” Oral presentation, Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy, 2012
- Jinguang Hu, Arantes Valdeir, Pribowo Amadeus, Gourlay Keith, Saddler Jack N, “How Improved Pretreatment And Enzyme Complexes Can Help Us Evolve From A Hydrocarbon Based Economy To A Carbohydrate/Biomass Based Society” Oral presentation, The 55th International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology, 2012
Awards, Grants, Scholarships
Mitacs Industrial Postdoc Scholarship. (January 2015-now)
S.C. Trindade Award for The Twenty-first International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels (2015)
China Scholarship Council – UBC Doctoral Scholarships. (2009-2013)